Parents, equip your children/teenagers to know how to make appropriate and suitable choices every day.
Allow them to make some wrong choices which will not be harmful, but more of a training exercise.
Have a discussion with your children/teenagers with the following questions:
- Why do you think you would make the wrong choice?
- Would it be a good idea to make an important choice when someone is distracting you?
- Do you find it difficult to make choices on your own?
- What do you see as acceptable and unacceptable choices?
- Do you realise that the consequences of your wrong choices and actions will fall on our shoulders?
If a child/teenager makes a wrong choice, rather discuss the mistake than scold them. Remind them the consequences will still need to be done.